Pages

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Summer Reading Fun; Take #2

You may remember that last year I helped put on the Summer Reading Program at our local library in Glenwood. We had SO much fun! I was so excited to help out again this year that I sat down to make up plans way back in February. I know, I'm a nerd. Well, we ended up moving to AZ in March so I no longer get to be involved at the Glenwood library, but since I already had everything planned I decided to invite some of our new friends to join us for a Summer Reading Playgroup in our home. Each mom pitched in a few dollars to help cover supplies, and we were ready to roll. We've had a marvelous time and I can't wait to share all the fun with you over the next few weeks. 

Like last year, I have tried to incorporate activities for each book in each off the following categories:

Playdough
Art/Crafts
Sensory
Gross Motor
Snacks

We do play dough as our gathering activity each week because it's so easy to add kids into the mix as they arrive. I let them play until a few of them start to get bored, then I gather them around to read the story. After that we move on to our craft so that any paint or glue has time to dry before the kiddos go home. By this point they are pretty much done sitting still, so we take a break for snacks and then finish up with our gross motor and sensory activities.

Over the next few weeks I'll be sharing our activities with you all, hopefully you can find something that looks fun and doable for you and your kiddos. Pretty much everything is cheap and requires very little prep work because I'm just lazy like that. ;)  I'll also try to include a list of other books that we've enjoyed that fit in with the theme in case you want to expand your kids' literary horizons a bit.

Look for the first installment on July 4th, and then I hope to share a new post about our reading fun every Tuesday until we're done. I'll link all the posts back here so you can easily find them all.

Week 1: Truck Stop
Week 2: The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Week 3: Should I Share My Ice Cream
Week 4: Up, Down, and Around
Week 5: Curious George

No comments:

Post a Comment