Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Full vs. Empty

I started this activity as a way to entertain Paisley, but it didn't take too long before Erik was in on it too. They both really had a ball with it. 
All you need are some cotton balls and a bowl (or two, or three, or however many your kids demand). Remember to watch your little one closely, the cotton balls would stick quite nicely into a little throat. I filled up a bowl with cotton balls and showed it to Paisley, telling her that it was full. We played with the cotton balls until the bowl was empty, at which point I made sure to tell her that it was empty. We did this a few more times, but by then Erik had joined in and I just turned the two of them loose with the cotton balls. 
Empty
Full 
I brought over a few more bowls when Erik joined in so we wouldn't have sharing issues.  
Erik found a small cup (it actually came with a bottle of cough syrup I bought, but it fell out of the medicine cupboard and Erik has claimed it as his own) and started experimenting to see how many cotton balls he could fit into it. 
This kept these two busy for much longer than I had anticipated, and they seemed to really enjoy playing together. The main purpose of this activity is to introduce the words "full" and "empty", but there is so much more to it than that. I could list it all here for you but I won't, because you can find all that info in the labels at the bottom of the post.
Paisley lost interest long before Erik did, but that doesn't mean she didn't have fun, she's just younger and has a smaller attention span. 

No comments:

Post a Comment